Ferrari’s strong start in Barcelona continued with Kimi Raikkonen setting the fastest time in testing so far with a 1:20.960.
The Finn, who helped Ferrari notch up 100 laps for the second day in a row, was less than a tenth quicker than Lewis Hamilton – but Raikkonen was on the soft tyre compared to Hamilton’s supersoft stint on Tuesday morning.
Valtteri Bottas took over driving duties in the afternoon for Mercedes, who also enjoyed another strong showing, and completed a full race simulation at the Circuit de Catalunya, lapping consistently in the 1:25-1:26 range.
The former Williams driver did not have a completely squeaky-clean session, though, as he kissed the barrier when losing control of the W08. Fortunately for Mercedes, there was no lasting damage.
Max Verstappen, who finished in P3, had a much more productive afternoon and completed a 89-lap run, while Haas’ Kevin Magnussen was the day’s other centurion and climbed up to P4 with a late programme on the supersofts.
McLaren, after another day of Honda engine trouble, emerged from the garage in the afternoon with a second new power unit fitted in as many days.
Stoffel Vandoorne was able to record 40 laps, just 11 more than his frustrated counterpart Fernando Alonso managed in Monday’s sessions.
Williams, though, missed out on the afternoon session completely after Lance Stroll, on his debut, sustained damage to the front wing of the FW40, which was unable to be fixed due to a lack of parts.
Day Two Timesheet:
1) Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, soft tyres, 108 laps, 1:20.960
2) Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 66 laps, supersoft tyres, 1:20.983
3) Max Verstappen, Red Bull, 89 laps, soft tyres, 1:22.200
4) Kevin Magnussen, Haas, 100 laps, supersoft tyres, 1:22.204
5) Esteban Ocon, Force India, 68 laps, 1:22.509
6) Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso, 62 laps, 1:22.956
7) Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes, 89 laps, 1:22.986
8) Jolyon Palmer, Renault, 53 laps, 1:24.139
9) Antonio Giovinazzi, Sauber, 67 laps, 1:24.617
10) Stoffel Vandoorne, McLaren, 40 laps, 1:25.600
11) Lance Stroll, Williams, 12 laps, 1:26.040