Bournemouth heap further misery on Swansea


Swansea were condemned to their fourth consecutive loss of the season as Bournemouth cruised to a comfortable 3-0 win at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday.


  • Swansea City 0 Bournemouth 3
  • Stanislas’ shot saved by Fabianski
  • Llorente heads wide of the mark
  • Afobe opens scoring on 25 mins
  • Fraser doubles Cherries’ lead
  • King adds a third late on

Match summary

The Cherries opened their account on 25 minutes through Benik Afobe, before Ryan Fraser doubled their advantage on the stroke of half-time.

And the result was eventually put beyond any doubt two minutes from full-time, Joshua King slotting home with a shot from outside the box.

Full report

The encounter got off to a lively start, with both teams looking to attack each other from the first minute of play.

The visitors looked more comfortable when in possession, with the likes of Jack Wilshere and Harry Arter pulling the strings in the midfield. 

Swansea looked threatening on the counter-attack, but often lacked the decisive ball in the final third, with midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson guilty of stalling on the ball on a few occasions.

The home side almost broke the deadlock in spectacular style in the 18th minute when Junior Stanislas weaved his way into the area, but goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski was equal to the task, palming the winger’s effort over the bar.

The visitors opened the scoring in the 26th minute following some sloppy defending from the home side. Benik Afobe slotted home from close range, after Wilshere’s initial pass was kept out by Artur Boruc in a move plagued by Swansea’s defensive errors.

The goal seemed to take steam out of the Swans’ attack as the Cherries looked to double their advantage, and they were unfortunate not to do so when a patient passing move resulted in Arter’s shot going inches wide of the post.

Eddie Howe’s side were eventually rewarded for their dominance as they doubled their lead on the stroke of half-time. A well-worked team move resulted in Wilshere teeing up Ryan Fraser, who slotted home from just a few yards out.

Bournemouth completely dominated proceedings in the second half and were content to keep the ball without playing at much of a high tempo.

The Cherries should have further extended their lead through Afobe in the 56th minute, but the forward blasted his effort over the bar.

Substitute Joshua King put the icing on the cake two minutes from full-time as found the bottom-right corner with a shot from outside the box.